Saturday, June 25, 2011

Maimed

My left hand is maimed. It is mangled. It is in a state of complete and utter disrepair. See for yourselves.


Okay, so that is computer generated blood. I used it for ultimate impact since my actual hand looks less mutilated. I needed some shock factor to make you believe that it is near amputation status. You'll understand why in a moment. Here's my actual hand.





























I suppose I should explain considering it looks almost normal. It all started on Thursday night when I was cooking dinner. I accidentally burned myself with boiling water on my thumb and ring finger. It hurt so badly, I went brain dead for 10 seconds and just left my fingers in the boiling water. They quickly swelled up and started blistering. I tried everything to soothe the burn, but the only thing that worked was aloe. I tape a whole branch of the plant to my blister and left it on for the night. I then tore the blister wide open when removing my wedding rings. More aloe was applied.

The maiming continued on Friday when I was feeding Beatrice a bite of my sandwich and she sneezed mid-bite. Her jaw locked and her teeth sank into my thumb for approximately 5 seconds. It was excruciating. So painful in fact, it briefly crossed my mind to whack her in efforts to release my thumb. I didn't because she is a baby and it was an accident. And I love her. She is lucky for that.

And finally today, while I was putting away the pot that started this whole mess, I scraped the skin off of my middle finger on the wooden shelving in our cabinets. I watched my skin curl up and blood begin to spew. More aloe and more bandages were applied.

So here's what I have going on:





























As you can see, this is a very serious situation. I just hope my hand can be salvaged and I can regain some functionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment