Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm Over It

Our dishwasher is on the fritz. It started out only cleaning the dishes on the bottom rack, then the bottom rack dishes failed to come clean. Now after hand washing the dishes before loading them into the dishwasher, all the dishes come out dirty no matter which rack they were on. This is not how dishwashers are supposed to operate, or so I've been told.

This didn't bother me at first. I like washing dishes. It's one of those chores that leaves me feeling accomplished because I can see the progress happening as I work. It's gratifying, in the way that household chores can sometimes be. I like washing dishes so much that I often volunteer to wash other people's too. I have spent many hours hand washing mountains of dirty dishes at old boyfriends' apartments. Too many, actually. Come to think of it, I have dated a lot of slobs. JD was the first boyfriend I had that didn't have moldy, crusty plates littering his countertops every time I came over. It's how I knew he was The One. 


But now, after 3 days of no dishwasher, I'm over hand washing our plates and bowls and glasses and sippy cups and forks and snack cups. We go through a lot of dishes in a day. So many, it requires several sink-fulls of soapy water several times a day. My hands are raw, my back is sore, my countertops are cluttered with drying dishes, and there are way more dirty dishtowels than I'm comfortable with. On the flip side, my rings are the sparkliest they have ever been. I miss my dishwasher. Tomorrow we are going to purchase a new dishwasher. One that we'll only get to enjoy for a month or so, but the new tenants will love it. Have I mentioned that we're renting our place? No? Well, we're renting our place. Yay us! Tomorrow cannot come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment