Wednesday, December 29, 2010

She's A Big Kid Now

There is nothing quite like having a baby. Having a tiny, little person rely on you for everything is so rewarding and makes you feel like the ultimate nurturer. I loved those days with Beatrice when she needed me all day long and even sometimes at night. When she wanted nothing but to snuggle and be held by her mama melted my heart and I knew I'd miss it when she grew up. Having a big kid though, is even better. Having a big kid means that there is someone to interact with you on a tangible level. There are conversations (mostly about animal sounds and shapes, but conversations nonetheless) and helpers to create clean up messes. Having a big kid is better than having a baby because while they still need you and want to cuddle, they are also little people with precious sing-songy voices telling you what they need/are thinking about/think is hilarious. It's kind of wonderful.

Beatrice and I had a girls' day out this morning complete with blueberry pancakes at Cracker Barrel and a quick shopping trip to a furniture store. While I used to dread outings with her, today was really fun. We ate pancakes and talked about the weather. Even though I was technically the only adult at the table capable of 2 word sentences, we had a lovely time. It made me realize how much I love having a big kid. I have a person to share meals with. A person to talk to when nobody else is home. A person to go shopping with. And she loves it as much as I do.

I will always cherish her babyhood and her helpless little self needing me for everything. But I can't help be a little proud of the big kid that she's becoming. Her budding independence and fiery personality has got to be a reflection of my awesome nurturing skills. Right? Having a big kid rules and I am glad to finally have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment