Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Potty Training






























As you can see from the photo above, things aren't going exactly as I planned.

I have to be honest, potty training is not a mommy milestone I'm looking forward to accomplishing. I would like to just skip it altogether and let someone else take credit for toilet training my daughter. In my mind, it seems like the hardest parenting trial ever. Bigger than teaching her to say no to drugs and boys with fast cars. Potty training is my Everest and I'm scared. Really stinkin' scared.

Beatrice has been showing signs of readiness since 18 months. My goal was to start trying after our vacation, but then we got word about our move and I put it off. I moved my goal to June 1st. She was interested in the potty, loved watching me go, and really loved sitting on her own little potty. I thought she was ready. I thought I was ready. So, we started very casually potty training. She did great for a few days, then decided that potty training wasn't for her and refused to do much more than place a few bath toys inside the potty. I couldn't have agreed with her more so I didn't press the issue. Another goal was made to begin on July 1st, but here we are on July 19th with no potty training to speak of. Sigh.


I'm not sure why potty training scares me so much. Maybe because there is a lot at stake. Like not succeeding. Plus, I hate making her do stuff that she doesn't want to do. Right now, she doesn't want to sit on the potty, she wants to put it on her head. Surely that's a sign for some big milestone, right? For now, we have another goal set for August 1st. I really want her potty trained by the time Penelope gets here and despite losing interest for a bit, she goes every time I set her on the potty. She's ready. I think. I hope. I don't know. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Just keep trying. She'll get the hang of it when she's ready. :) But I couldn't agree more about letting someone else take over for that milestone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack has gone potty once...Im not pushing it. I figure when he is ready, he will let us know. Mostly...I am scared too!

    ReplyDelete