Friday, May 7, 2010

Last Supper

















You see that? That's my last meal as a single mom. It's not much, just a sweet potato covered in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. I'm trying to eat all of the produce in the house before our vacation. I'll be eating an apple for dessert.

Tonight is the last night I dine alone. Tomorrow (and the rest of our lives I hope) I will eat with my husband. Dinner time has often been the loneliest time with JD gone. It is when couples/families discuss the day and enjoy time together as a family before bed. Having to eat alone has reinforced how very much alone I felt. I have wonderful family and friends that have invited me to eat with them but Beatrice is super cranky from about 6 o'clock until bedtime. Staying home is easier.

My humble little meal is the last of its kind. Soon Daddy will be home and I will be meal planning and cooking yummy dinners for him. Honestly, I cannot wait to eat real dinners again. When we were dating, I used to eat a salad or steamed broccoli for dinner. Why cook for 1 person? JD would always say that it was not a real dinner unless there was meat on the plate. He is so right. Since he has been gone, I have grown accustomed to eating bowls of cereal, oatmeal or soup for dinner. I just can't justify cooking a "real dinner" for just me.

My lonely dinners have really given me a heart for single parents and friends who aren't married. Having someone to talk to while breaking bread is such a wonderful thing. I will think twice before I turn down another dinner invitation from my single friends from now on. It really does suck to eat alone.

So tonight, I will eat my last supper as a single parent joyfully because tomorrow, we have our daddy back.

No comments:

Post a Comment