Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Like To Make Things

Beatrice has a tiny head. Like, a 10th percentile head. Being born in the winter required head coverage. This posed several problems for a tiny-headed baby. All of the store-bought hats and bonnets were way too big for her little noggin. So I scoured the mecca of handmade goods for a custom fit: Etsy! I found so many beautiful crocheted hats and beanies that could be custom made to fit my baby's wee little dome. 
Photo by Sara Rose Photography






















I ordered one and it fit her tiny head perfectly and was super cute. The more I studied it, the more I decided that I could make a crocheted hat too. My grandmother taught me how to crochet a few years back so I figured it would be like riding a bike. All I needed was a little practice and it would all come back to me......


I bought a book and some yarn and attempted my first baby beanie. I proudly told EVERYONE that I would be making handmade hats in hopes that the orders would come flowing in. I just knew that I would be successful at it. I was a little rusty in my technique, but I had all the confidence in the world. 


My first hat was completed at my mom's house. I announced to my family to come check out the big reveal.....
 















If you haven't figured it out, it wasn't supposed to look like that. It was so tiny and skewed, I was totally embarrassed. And a little defeated. Poor Beatrice looked like a cone head in that stupid hat. I was so confident that I could make a hat. One that actually resembled a hat. I was determined. 


I began watching Youtube videos and tried some new patterns and lo and behold, I kind of got a knack for crocheting. I can make all sorts of hats, booties, blankies, and headbands (after many mess ups).It helps to have a little model available at all times. 














I finally mastered the flower beanie. I am now working on learning new stitches and working on my own patterns. I opened an Etsy shop. It's fun. I've come a long way.











1 comment:

  1. Wow! You did a really great job. Way to stick with it after a mess up!!

    ReplyDelete