Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Oh Say Can You See

Holidays are very different for us now that we live in California. Without family gatherings to attend, all of the festivities and planning fall on my shoulders. I have done a pretty good job at making sure our celebrations feel fun and festive with just the 4 of us, but today I failed big time.

I'm not even sure how I failed so much. I planned a simple menu, I intended on getting sparklers for Beatrice, I meant to make the day feel extra special. But JD golfed in the morning, the girls napped until late afternoon and before I knew it, I hadn't cooked anything, I never bought the sparklers, and the day felt like every other day. Oops.

Thankfully, our neighborhood had a big 4th of July celebration with food, festivities, and fun. We walked over and met our friends for hot dogs, pink lemonade, and watermelon. It felt like a holiday, no thanks to me.


















































It ended up being a fun evening with friends. We let Beatrice stay up late to watch fireworks. She loved it.






































Even though the day turned out to be special, I feel really terrible about not doing more for my family. I'm the mom, it's sort of my job. Right? I guess there's always Labor Day. Happy Independence Day!



1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th! Girl, I totally get you! Most days I feel like a total failure and wonder how my list got longer instead of shorter. My Mama says it's because I'm busy raising a baby or something silly like that :) That can get in your way and you not even realize it. You have TWO! Give yourself a break. You all look like you had a wonderful time that night anyhow. Oh, and I would about give my left arm to be out there with you and that wonderful weather! I need to stop complaining...but it's HOT here!!!! Anyway, your a great Mama and you need to know you do a wonderful job! And your girls are absolutely adorable!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete