Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not Hot

This is our forecast for the next 5 days:


























Thursday's going be a real scorcher. I don't know how we're going to make it...

Hate me yet? I feel really badly posting this considering every state to the east of us is suffering through brutal heat in the triple digit temps. 

We don't have any air conditioning in our house. We didn't know that until we moved in. Coming from Tennessee where it is still very hot and humid in October, we panicked upon discovering there was no AC in most of the SoCal homes. "You won't need it," the landlord promised. 

So far, she was right. We live right on the water with a big hill behind us. Because of our prime location, there is a constant breeze (sometimes a violent wind) that keeps our home downright chilly. Up until a few months ago, we ran the heat at night because it would be in the 40s and we would freeze. Tonight I realized that it's almost mid-July and we have only had a handful of days in the 80s. That's crazy to this Florida-raised Tennessean. 

I joke that Southern California is paradise, but you guys, it really is. It has only rained maybe 5 or 6 times in the 8 months we've lived here, and everything stays green and lush. We have blue skies everyday, brisk mornings, almost constant breezes during the day, cold nights - we had to wear sweatshirts on the 4th of July to watch fireworks! Maybe that's why my tomato plant is struggling. 

I always wondered why so many people want to live in California despite the high cost of living (that's a whole other post in the works. Holy cow is this place expensive.), but now I know. It's the climate. And the beach. And the mountains. And the desert. But mostly the perfect weather. And the avocados. 

I'm really enjoying my first summer here in Los Angeles. I feel terrible for all of our friends and family melting back home, but I don't think I would trade places with them. This Florida-raised Tennessean turned California girl is a convert. California for life!






































Keep cool out there, guys. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I am very jealous. How many times have I said this now??? And again...when do we move in??? :)

    ReplyDelete