Monday, July 2, 2012

Coconut

I bought a coconut at the store the other day. I didn't know how to crack it open, but I knew my handy husband would have an idea. When JD saw it he said, "I don't know how to open that thing."

Well, crap. I remember my dad opening them with a screw driver and hammer when we were kids and I've seen folks in the Caribbean use machetes. "Do we have a machete?" I asked. "Uh, no," he responded. Crap again. "Go get your toolbox, babe, we're cracking open a coconut." Here's how we did it:
























































































































































































































































































































From here, you can drink the coconut milk and pry the meat out with a knife. It's a lot of work, but so worth it once you get to the yummy coconut meat!

1 comment:

  1. Aly there is another great effective way to do it. Hold the coconut where the belly of it is facing you and then whack it with the back of your butcher knife or your strongest one and it would crack in a beautiful line for you to open to drain the liquid and use the shells as bowls if you wish to make something of the it.

    ReplyDelete