Friday, February 17, 2012

Me-Time

I have a dilemma. It's nap time and I want to paint my nails. I need to fold a load of laundry, make a grocery list, and mop the kitchen floor. I only have about 30 minutes before Penelope wakes so it is imperative that I use my time wisely. Completing the household chores would be the responsible thing to do. But painting my nails would make me feel pretty and I desperately need a little me-time. Sigh. I'm gonna go fold the laundry now. 

I constantly feel this pull between doing the things that I need to do versus the things that I want to do. I seem to fail miserably at finding the balance between me-time and being a good time manager with my chores. While it's obvious that the chores are more important and benefit the whole family, the me-time is kind of vital for my mental health. Pretty nails go a long way when you're feeling lonely/tired/down.

I have always liked my me-time. It wasn't until I had kids that I became crazed about finding it, keeping it, and multiplying it. I do better as a mommy when I can indulge in my stuff. But the more kids I have, the less of it I seem to have available to me. I am constantly being encouraged to get a pedicure, go to Starbucks, or do something for myself. But the dirty dishes and hungry children don't wait for me-time. And once I get everything done for my family, the only thing there is time for is sleep.

That's the tricky thing with me-time; it takes away from the other stuff I need to do for my family. I can't be a good housekeeper and have beautiful nails. I can't have a regularly updated blog and clean floors. I can't have it all. I have to choose. And I almost always choose the chores because that's my job. I'm not complaining about it, I just want to get to a place where I can have a good handle on my household so there can be time for an afternoon mani/pedi.

Today was not that day. It is now 10pm and I am still writing this blog. I managed to get the floors mopped, the laundry folded, and dinner cooked, but my nails are still not painted and this blog is still not posted. That's okay though. Tomorrow is Saturday and JD is home. It's a long weekend so there will be plenty of opportunities for me-time. I'm going to treat myself to Starbucks on the way to the grocery store tomorrow. I might even paint my nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment