Friday, May 27, 2011

Target Missed

This morning, we ran out of soap. I made a list of about 5 things that we needed to hold us over until the big grocery shopping trip and Beatrice and I headed out. To Target.

Now, if you're a normal person, Target probably doesn't have the same effect on you that it does on me. I cannot be controlled at Target. I go in with a list of 5 things and come out with at least 2 or 3 times that much because hello, who can resist the dollar bins in the front and all of the colorful merchandise with clever advertising? Not me. Nope, I have never left Target with only the items on my list. Which means I have never honored a budget at Target. Which means JD hates it when I go to Target.

This was my list:






































And this is what I came home with:






































I doubled what was initially on my list. And this isn't even all of what I bought. I took the liberty to omit the 2 liter of Coke and bag of Doritos from this photo. I didn't want you all to think that we eat like a bunch of couch potatoes. We really don't, the 2 liter was on sale for nothing and I was craving nacho cheese. It's awfully misleading of me though, isn't it? Target brings out the worst in me. I'm working on it.

Here's what I couldn't resist today:
1. Dial Soap. Point for me since it was the whole purpose of the trip, AND I bought it in bulk. JD will think I am very resourceful.
2. Dum Dums. I have a whole post started about my emergency diaper bag kit and the Dum Dums are apart of that, but for the sake of this post, Dum Dums are an instant tantrum-killer around here. They are a staple for restaurant patronage, meetings with the guy at the bank handling some business for us, and for doctors' appointments lasting way longer than any toddler can handle while maintaining a sweet disposition. Dum Dums are a lifesaver. 
3. Starburst Red Fruits. Don't judge me, I was hungry when we went shopping. 
4. Archer Farms Fruit and Nut Trail Mix. This is healthy and a good representation of typical snacks in our house. 
5. Hand Soap. We ran out, which indicates good hygiene so another point for me. 
6. Welch's Fruit Snacks. These are good and do not have any pesky additives. They are made from fruit juice and Beatrice loves them as an afternoon snack. Or if I'm out of Dum Dums, these have the same effect. 
7. Stauffer's Iced Animal Crackers. 2 words: dollar bin. 
8. Orbit Raspberry Lemonade Gum. Impulse buy. 
9. Market Pantry Fruit Snacks. These are Target's version of the Welch's fruit snacks. Actually, I don't know why I bought both. Subtract a point for poor planning. 
10. Annie's Bunny Graham Friends. These are favorites at our house. They are organic and only have recognizable ingredients you would find in your own kitchen. They're not really healthy per se (since you know, they're cookies and all), but they are void of all preservatives and additives making them a smarter cookie choice than the majority of the selection on the shelves. And they were on the list. 
11. Stickers. These are for my emergency diaper bag kit I mentioned earlier. Stickers are good for hours of fun. And on the list. Except when I put them away in my secret stash, I noticed that I have an unopened pack of 200. Oops. Subtract that last point after all. See? I suck at Target shopping. 
12. Plum Fruit and Vegetable Puree Pouches. These are actually baby food purees that I serve to Beatrice as juice pouches. She loves them and they are a great way to get otherwise icky vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and pumpkin into her daily diet. These are a staple, healthy, and on the list. Win. Win. Win. 
13, 14, 15. Not pictured: Plastic Toy Watering Can, Coke, Doritos.
And I completely forgot the body wash. Actually, I didn't forget. I just didn't want to spend $5 more when there was already so much extra stuff in my cart. And I'm lying again. Target is not good for my moral compass.


Because of my inability to maintain restraint at Target, we don't go very often. But when we do, we can't wait until we get home to dig into our goodies.

































As you can see, I am really no good at Target-ing. Or maybe Target's no good for me, because the more I talk to people about sticking to the items only on their list the same thing seems to happen. I am convinced that Target has some sort of brainwashing ability or amnesia inducing mist that is sprayed on patrons as they enter the store. There is no other explanation for my lack of self control. At least that's what I tell JD.

3 comments:

  1. Haha Target isn;s good for anyone's budget! Thankfully there are several much more boring stores between my house and Target where I can pick up essentials and NOT have to avoid the dollar bins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target is bad for everyone minus my Dad.. He is the only person I know that can go in and get only what he needs..

    Good idea about the stickers and Dum Dum suckers.. I'm going to pick some up because sometimes Greg and Aiden are just annoyed and I really don't like handing over my wallet and iphone..

    I had saw the Plum pouches but wasn't sure if older kids would do them.. I might pick a couple of up.. Nikolas is such a HUGE picky eater..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely go to Target anymore for this reason.

    Hunter loves dum dums, but he ends up getting it all over his hands, too. It's a horrible sticky mess. :(

    ReplyDelete