Friday, May 20, 2011

I Make (More) Stuff

About 152 years ago, I bought a sewing machine. I was working at a medical clinic and was sick of spending $40 a pop on the world's ugliest outfits: scrubs. Although very comfy, scrubs are the epitome of shapeless, drab office wear. But they seemed simple enough to make. So I bought a sewing machine and decided to teach myself how to sew.

Sewing turned out to be pretty darn easy for me. I made scrubs, curtains, and these weird jean extension things I created in the height of my grunge/hippy phase. A phase that was quickly replaced by a weird hair phase and followed by a too much makeup phase. Shudder. Anyway, I digress. When I quit my nurses' assistant job for a barista position at Starbucks, I packed my sewing machine away in the attic. It hasn't seen the light of day for nearly 10 years. I'm old. Until a few weeks ago when I had a wild idea to make Beatrice and Penelope dresses. Down came the sewing machine and for the most part of 2 weeks, I've been sewing like a mad woman. Look what I can make:

Sweet little jumpers:





























Whale onesie:






































Pig onesie:


























Chick onesie:


























Who knew that actually reading the instruction booklet that came with my sewing machine would be so helpful? I taught myself how to applique (so easy) and how to do an embroidery stitch (easy after practice). These are available in my Etsy shop. With more designs to come!

JD is less than enthusiastic about my newest hobby. Partly because I devote a lot of time to crafting when I get on one of these kicks, but mostly because our dining room table looks like this:



















































I tell him it could be worse. I could have weird hair and wear way too much makeup. What do you all think of my newest endeavor? Cute? Too handmade looking to ever sell? You wanna see some jean extensions in my shop?

7 comments:

  1. What ARE jean extensions? I mean, the onesies? ADORABLE. But all I can do is sit here and ponder the meaning of 'jean extensions'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cutsy ... I like the whale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at you... you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jumpers are just to cute!! Great job.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous. In my mind I can whip up a sundress in nothing flat. In reality, I can't even figure out how to thread the bloomin' thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean extensions were my solution to too short thrift store jeans. I would attached material from thrifted silk scarfs and such to the bottom of jeans to make them longer. A fashion trend they were not....

    ReplyDelete