Friday, March 30, 2012

Hard

Beatrice is 2.5 now and while parenting a 2 year old is fun and wild and exhausting and exhilarating, it is also hard. Really, really hard.

The hardest part about 2 is the endless battles over everything/nothing. My child is very strong-willed and is determined on doing the opposite of whatever I tell her.

"Put on your shoes, please."
"Imma put on my socks instead, mama."
"Take a sip of your water."
"No, Imma eat a grape."
"Let's go outside."
"Imma stay here and color."

It's frustrating and adorable at the same time. It's mostly frustrating though because obedience is important. And since she's determined to do the opposite of what I tell her, she is disobedient a lot of the time. Disobedience yields discipline and discipline is the hardest thing about 2.

It was just a short time ago that she was a baby and totally compliant and happy with whatever I did for her. Now she gets spankings and consequences and lectures about obedience. 2 is so hard.


























I want to raise her to be honest and kind to people, to respect authority and to love God. Discipline is hard, but it promises to whittle away the rough edges of selfishness, pride, and disobedience.


























I find myself really struggling with which battles to choose. She's little and is still learning how to express her emotions. She is testing the waters on which behaviors are allowed and which are not. I am doing my best to make on the spot decisions on which ones are allowed as well. Most nights I go to bed repenting for my shortcomings and asking God for wisdom with this little one. She's 2 and 2 is so hard.






































I was told if I stayed diligent with discipline at 2, there wouldn't be a great need for it at 8. I'm hanging onto this wisdom. Please be true, please be true, please be true.


























2 is hard, but I love this girl madly. She can be difficult and disobedient, but she is also sweet and helpful and hilarious. She is precious to me. 

I want to enjoy this hard stage with her, I want to survive it with her, but mostly, I want to do right by her. I find myself fumbling a lot because it is so hard to have such a cute, little person be downright defiant to my face. I want to get it right before she remembers how mommy wasn't so natural at this parenting thing.


























Training up a child is hard and most days I don't know if I'm doing anything right, but I'm up for the challenge. This girl is the best. I am honored to be her mama. This makes me really proud to call her mine:



2 is hard, but it's almost over! I hear 3 is harder. Oh boy...


























All photos by my talented friend, Sara Rose.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Aly. You are such a wonderful Mama and are doing the right thing even when may doubt yourself. I don't look forward to being in your shoes in about a year but I know I will be! You have two beautiful and precious little girls who are a product of wonderful parents. The video is so adorable! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Aly, I think this may be one of my favorite posts of yours. Two is so fun, but so hard, and you described it beautifully. :) You are doing a wonderful job with your girls, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest a resource? I use 1-2-3 Magic in my classroom as it was recommended by many people. After reading the book, I will definitely be using the system with my son when he's a bit older. Obviously I haven't been there yet, so I'm not telling you it absolutely is the best option, but I know it has worked wonders with some of my students. Hang in there! Your beautiful girls will grow up to be strong, confident women, just like their Momma!

    ReplyDelete