Monday, January 23, 2012

The Pillow

For as long as I can remember, I have always woken up with a crick in my neck. I tried fluffy pillows, flat pillows, pillows stuffed with synthetic fibers, pillows stuffed with goose down, double stacked pillows, and no pillows at all, but nothing helped. Apparently my neck is very finicky and a good pillow is hard to find. My brother the chiropractor suggested I invest in an ergonomic pillow. I say invest because those suckers are not cheap. Mine cost $100. My mom and aunt had recently switched to the contoured, foamy pillows and raved about how glorious and un-cricked their necks felt in the morning, so I decided to give it a whirl.

After the first night on that pillow my life was instantly changed for the better. I never had another crick in my neck. Ever. That pillow was worth every dollar because I immediately felt so awesome compared to years of waking up feeling terrible. It took me a few nights to get used to the weird shape and firmness of it, but I adjusted super quickly. I loved my pillow. I traveled with that pillow. I sang the praises of that pillow to anyone who would listen. Me and that pillow? We were tight. For 3 years it cradled my head and neck in such a way that changed me physically for the better. I could have loved that pillow for life. And I would have, if it wasn't stolen from me.

Someone stole my freakin' pillow, y'all!?!? Because I never spent a night without that pillow, I never packed it with our things when we moved to California. I brought it with me for the 2 months that we lived with my brother and sister in law. While Penelope and I were in the hospital, I got a call notifying me that if I wanted my car in California by the time I arrived the following week, it had to be shipped within 12 hours. I was stuck in the hospital so I called my sister in law to toss the last of our bigger items in my backseat and trunk so we wouldn't have to take them on the airplane. My pillow was among those items. As soon as the car arrived in California a few days later, I asked JD to find my pillow. My neck was already hurting without it. He looked and looked, but never found it. He checked the trunk. He checked the floorboards. He checked the backseat. It was gone. Someone stole my pillow. 

I can't even tell you how I feel about this. Firstly, it is hilarious that someone stole a pillow. I joke that someone's neck must be in pretty bad shape to cause them to burgle another person's pillow. Secondly, I feel kind of violated and icky that someone took something from me, out of my car. But mostly, I just want my pillow back! My neck hurts. For 3 months now, I have been in constant neck pain because I can't find a replacement for my perfect ergonomic wonder. There has not been a single day that I haven't thought about that awesome piece of foam. I miss it. I don't think I can live without that pillow! 

If you have chronic neck pain, seriously consider buying one of those awesome pillows. But bolt it to your bed or something because they are a hot commodity and you never know when someone might steal it from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment