Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Master Bedroom Tour

Recently I totally redecorated our master bedroom. I wish I thought to take a before picture, but I didn't. Imagine lots of brown, red, and gold. This, of course, is the after.


























It took me forever to decide on the duvet cover. Originally I wanted something with a wide yellow and white stripe. I found the perfect duvet at West Elm, but once I saw the Ikat (above), I couldn't decide. I went with the gray Ikat (obviously) and haven't regretted it once!


























I am still in search of real art (instead of portraits of my children) for over the bed, but for now the portraits remain. I took the photos on the left and the right, my friend Sara Rose took the one in the middle. Canvases ordered thru Canvas People.


























When I ordered the Ikat bedding, I decided I would make wide yellow and white striped curtain panels to incorporate some of my original design plans. My mother in law went to the fabric store with me and talked me into something totally different. I'm so glad she did because I love it. It's another Ikat print, but I figure Ikat is the new chevron and you can't have too much of either. Right?







































If you're getting the idea that our room is really small, it is. It's really, really small. We managed to squeeze our giant furniture into it though with a tiny bit of space to walk around. For this reason, I try really hard to always make the bed and never let piles of clothes/books/junk accumulate. Small messes in small rooms make everything look even smaller and more claustrophobic. Ignore the small collection of things that do not go together on that dresser...photos of my newborn girls, a broken Tiffany lamp, an oscillating fan, and a leather journal. 

In search of more yellow things for this room, I came across this wood plank fabric and knew that I needed it. I made a simple quilt for the end of the bed. It's weird, warm, and quite possibly my favorite thing in the room.


























Actually no, my favorite thing in the room is my DIY plastic elephant taxidermy. I made these a few months ago and they turned out exactly as I envisioned.


























I bought a plastic toy elephant in the Toys R Us dollar bin, had my friend's husband saw him in half, glued each of his halves to cheap wooden plaques (Hobby Lobby), and spray painted everything metallic silver. I love, love, love this guy (and his bottom).


























My nightstand:

JD's nightstand. Clearly I am more sentimental and read more...






































Here is the other side of the room.







































And that's it, our little love nest. It is tiny, but feels fresh and bright with the new linens and decor. There is a tiny closet that JD uses (not pictured) near the bedroom door, I use the larger one in Beatrice's room next door. We did the best we could with the little space we have and are pretty happy with how it turned out!

1 comment:

  1. This gives me hope that one day our tiny room can be something we love!! Currently it's my least favorite room in the house :-(

    ReplyDelete