Tuesday, September 27, 2011

All You Need Is Mouthwash

JD left for California yesterday. He took with him the last of our stuff. For the last 2 months, we have been living at my brother and sister in law's house. Except for some clothes and baby gear, we have been using their stuff. Sheets, furniture, kitchenware, towels, you name it, we are borrowing it. If you're new here or haven't been keeping up, our move to California got delayed AFTER we rented our townhouse, so my brother graciously offered his spare bedrooms to us. Yesterday, JD packed his car to the brim with the last of the toiletries, clothes, and odd and ends that belonged to us. He even took the mouthwash.

Using other people's stuff is pretty weird at first, but after the initial feeling of missing your own stuff wears off, you realize that very little is actually required to live comfortably. I never thought that I could manage without my full wardrobe to choose from or that life would be complete without my impressive collection of kitchen gadgets (my sister in law doesn't have a garlic press or meat mallet - gasp!). Being forced to store the majority of our belongings in boxes due to space issues (and the whole moving thing), I have discovered that most of our stuff isn't necessary for a happy life, or life at all. Basically, I have learned that all anyone needs is underwear, deodorant, and mouthwash. Man, I miss that mouthwash. Why did I let JD take it?


What got left behind is my pitiful maternity wardrobe (I still have a ton of weight to lose), my makeup, my computer (with internet thanks to my iPhone), my iPhone, my car, and the girls' clothes/blankets/loveys. We are borrowing pack n plays, baby papasan chairs, and booster seats. And you know what? It's plenty. Of course we have access to the comforts of my brother's home, but our only belongings are more than enough to sustain our lives comfortably.

I am totally inspired to really clean out and minimize our stuff when I get to California. Less is actually more when it comes to stuff. Although I will admit, I can't wait to jump into our king bed and have access to more options than black or brown flip flops. Oh, and the mouthwash. I really need my mouthwash.

No comments:

Post a Comment