Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lemon Tree

Our 5th wedding anniversary was a few weeks ago. The traditional gift for 5 years of marriage is wood and it just so happened that I was in need of a tree, a lemon tree. JD was quick to act on tradition and gifted me with a dwarf Meyer lemon tree. It's the best thing he's ever given me.






































I really wanted a full size lemon tree for the yard, but because we are in a rental and share a yard with our neighbors, planting a large tree wasn't possible. JD chose a dwarf Meyer because they do great in containers. We keep it out front for now, but it can come live inside our house during the colder winter months. I'm so excited to bring him in!

Dwarf Meyer trees start producing fruit very young so I was thrilled to see a baby lemon already growing on my tree. The branches are filled with tiny lemons that are going to be big lemons by the end of the summer. I can already taste the lemonade...


























My thumb wants to be green, it really does, but it is pretty black. I kill most plants because I over-water and under-fertilize. I am really nervous about caring for this little tree. I'm praying it makes it for the long haul and that our mild climate makes up for my killer touch.

I'll keep you posted!



1 comment:

  1. Oh AWESOME!! Matt just recently bought me a Kumquat tree, haha I am also very worried that I will kill the poor guy! Maybe if he survives a while I will try a lemon tree!

    ReplyDelete