Monday, September 17, 2012

I Gave Myself A Concussion

I'm sort of known for my clumsiness. I trip over my feet, I snag my toes on doorways, I bang my funny bone into walls. I blame my extra long extremities. Typically my injuries are superficial and my accidents are more of a nuisance than a source of concern. My clumsiness has been kind of funny.

And then one day I gave myself a concussion.

It happened on Saturday around lunchtime. I was doing laundry in my mom's laundry room when I walked into a sloped wall/ceiling, knocking myself silly for a moment. I knew that I hit my head really hard, but I never had a headache so I wasn't too concerned. I wanted to take a nap though, so I did.

When I woke up, I felt off. I was slightly dizzy and somewhat nauseated. I could still function alright so I took the girls to church and out to dinner with my brothers and sisters in law. Everyone thought I was acting a little loopy, but I felt mostly fine. I didn't worry about it.

On Sunday morning, all of that changed. I woke up unable to get out of bed. The room was spinning 100 miles per hour and I couldn't stand up. When I did, I vomited. It happened to be the morning my mom went on an overnight school trip with my youngest brother so I was alone with the girls, completey incapable of caring for them. I called my brother and sister in law to come over and help.

In the meantime, I googled. Big mistake. Googling health problems is the dumbest thing a person can do when they are faced with a health problem. I read things about diminished brain function, coma, and death. My sister in law found me in tears whispering about how I didn't want to die from a concussion...

At that point, everyone decided it was best that I went to the ER. We were all pretty sure I had a concussion with the dizziness and vomiting I was experiencing, but I wanted to be sure there wasn't anything worse going on with my brain since I couldn't stand up.

4 hours and a CT scan later, I was diagnosed with a (self-inflicted) concussion and given a Zofran for the nausea. I still felt horrible, but was relieved that my brain wasn't bleeding or permantly damaged. I came and home rested and accepted my family's help with the girls. I went to bed praying for a full recovery by this morning.

Today, I feel great. I woke up with some dizziness. Everything seemed slanted and distorted so I was still a little off. I prayed and by lunchtime, all dizziness was gone (praise God!). I feel totally normal now and am believing that my head is at 100% capacity for good. Amen!

As for the wall that knocked me down, well, it's still there. I've determined that I won't be doing anymore laundry while I'm here. It is definitely too risky.

No comments:

Post a Comment