Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cake In Bed

Earlier today, Beatrice helped me bake a cake. Baking together is one of her favorite things to do. She's meticulous with measuring and stirring, pouring and licking spoons. She's great at it and it's fun for both of us.

I promised her a piece before bed, but after dinner we took a bath, and after bath we read stories, and after stories it was bedtime. I completely forgot to give her cake. She forgot too, for a little while.

About an hour after we put her to bed, JD and I heard her on the monitor asking for cake. Typically, there would be no way I would give my 3 year old a piece of cake at 9:30 at night, but tonight was different. Maybe it was because we had such a good time baking it together or maybe it was because I wanted to honor my promise to let her have some, but I ended up giving my kid cake at 9:30 at night. And it was the best idea I had all day.

She loved it. I tiptoed up to her room with a tiny sliver of cake and half a glass of lemonade and said, "does anybody want dessert?!" She giggled through the whole piece and wanted her daddy to come watch her eat cake in bed. I think she told me she loved me 15 times while she ate her cake. It was the best.





























That cake was pretty sweet to begin with, but it was all the sweeter in bed with my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment